[Foundation-l] open letter by Wikiversity users to the WMF Board of Trustees

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 12:56:40 UTC 2010

Hoi,
As far as I am concerned, there have been a few persons who manifested
themselves as not taking no for an answer, who were blocked on several
projects, who moved to Wikiversity and continued their campaign they were
blocked for from Wikiversity.

Wikiversity is a Wikimedia Foundation project and, as such it adds
positively to the whole. When this is no longer the case because of people
who destabilise the whole, we have the mechanism of a global block. When
this is not accepted by one project, the question arises if that project
functions within the whole.

That is in and of itself a valid question. Not nice, but valid. Your
argument is that the procedures of Wikiversity have not been followed. At
some stage, particularly when the issue in and of itself has nothing to do
with Wikiversity, this is of little concern. The reality is that global
issues often need global attention. It has been clearly expressed that
within the WMF the large picture takes precedence. The consequence is that
the smaller projects get little attention. The consequence is also that
abusive behaviour in Wikiversity is not accepted when it disrupts other
projects and that this is not left for the Wikiversity community to decide.
Thanks,
       GerardM