[Foundation-l] Copyrighted maps and Derived works

Aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 18:30:10 UTC 2010

There are differences in how data (incl.    map data) is treated under
US law and how UK/European law treat data and data collections/databases

Wikipedia is operates under US copyright law, w/ servers and the
foundation US based (not sure how the Amsterdam servers fit under
laws). In the US, facts such as listings in the phone book and
geocoordinates are not copyrightable.  I think wikipedians deriving
these facts from google maps or google earth is okay under us law

On the otherhand, openstreetmap is based in the uk with servers in
London, and operates under uk/european law.  I know that databases and
data collections do get some protection under law there.  Thus
openstreetmap regards databases of coordinates (eg google) as having
protection and disallows google maps as a source for osm

Although deriving geocoordinates from google maps for wikipedia (under
us law) is okay, I would prefer not doing so and use osm, NASA
worldwind and other public domain or open licensed sources. (gps okay
too, though that gets into other questions). But the deed is done in
regards to coordinates and I see enough consensus among wikipedians
about facts not being copyrightable,  so I'm not so interested in
debating that

The best way to link osm to wikipedia is not to import wikipedia
coordinates.  Rather there is an osm wikipedia tag to enter the name/
URL of an associated wikipedia article

Aude

Sent from my iPhone