[Foundation-l] a heads-up on Wikimedia France's adventures with the Frenc...

Teofilo teofilowiki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 14:55:33 UTC 2009

I should have said it in my previous message : the first and foremost
priority for France, is that Government-owned museums allow visitors
who paid their entrance ticket to carry a camera and take pictures of
paintings and sculptures when the painters and sculptors died more
than 70 years ago.

In 2005, the Government-owned Guimet museum in Paris, which is famous
for its Chinese and Japanese art collections, asked for 50€ for each
non-commercial-purpose photographic shot and 5000€ for a
commercial-purpose shot  (1).

Telling the Museum administrators that we want to use their pictures
taken by their photographers is not the best message. The best message
is : allow every camera carrying citizen to take his own pictures.

If they want to contribute to Wikipedia with photographs taken by
their photographers, it is OK but it is not a priority.

(1) http://web.archive.org/web/20050305062057/www.museeguimet.fr/homes/home_id20392_u1l2.htm