[Foundation-l] Status of flagged protection (flagged revisions) for English Wikipedia.

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 00:02:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Steven Walling
<steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gregory,
> To address:
>
> "My leading hypothesis were either that the staff was incredibly
> overloaded with new initiatives like usability and strategywiki...WMF's
> priorities have become so warped due to petitioning by niche interests that
> it can't complete a simple request for its
> largest project.."

Your quoting makes it sound like I'm calling usability and strategy
wiki niche interest.

Here is what I actually wrote:

"My leading hypothesis were either that the staff was incredibly
overloaded with new initiatives like usability and strategywiki that
there simply hasn't been time to even make a simple configuration
change; ghat WMF's priorities have become so warped due to petitioning
by niche interests that it can't complete a simple request for its
largest project, or that the"

In bullet point form, my theories were:

(1) Tech staff is so overloaded with new work from usability, etc.
that they can't make a small configuration change for enwp or an enwp
test. No matter how important these new initiatives are, if they are
overburdening the staff this greatly than we have bitten off more than
we can chew.
(2) That WMF no longer cares about EnWP because advocates for other
projects post almost daily on foundation-l while ENWP
disproportionally underrepresented. (Enwp is off in it's own land)
(3) That fears about flagged revisions were causing the WMF to delay.

I'm pleased that Sue has responded resolutely to clarify that (3) is
not her position.

In any case, please endeavor to not misquote me in this manner in the future.