[Foundation-l] Status of flagged protection (flagged revisions) for English Wikipedia.

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia-inc.com
Mon Sep 28 22:53:47 UTC 2009

I think I can sum this up in a reasonably NPOV way.

We in the community very very badly want this to happen as quickly as
possible.  We had a very long discussion and came to an overwhelming
consensus.  We feel frustrated that it is taking so long.

We on the Foundation side of things very very badly want this to happen
as quickly as possible.  For a variety of reasons, including that there
is specific funding for some projects, but not for this one, some
obvious ways to make this happen faster haven't happened yet.

Everyone on all sides is interested and concerned to know what the
impact of this will be on a variety of metrics: general quality,
participation overall, participation by newbies, reduction of BLP harm,
etc.  Everyone is agreed that the trial should happen and then be judged
rationally, in a data-driven way, and the configuration changed and
retested if there appear to be better ways to do it.

Now we can quibble about the details of what should have been done
already (and I think it is clear that things have not been perfect, but
then again, things have never been perfect anywhere, and yet we muddle
through :-) ).  But mostly I hope we focus on what we should do NOW.

If the Foundation is bottlenecked at the moment (understandable) then
how can I help, how can we the community help, to take some of the
burden off of them to get done what we need to get done for the sake of
our mission?  :-)

--Jimbo