[Foundation-l] It's not article count, it's editors

teun spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 09:23:48 UTC 2009

There are a lot of metrics which could be defined, and each has its own
merits:
* number of articles: an indication of the amount of subjects covered, and
for "completeness" of the topics covered. More articles will probably draw
more visitors.
* number of participants: probably an indication of potential growth
* number of new articles / month : current growth
* Number of articles * length: a better indication of the amount of
information available.
* Number of corrections / article: probably an indication of quality, but
might also be an indication of vandalism.
* Turnover rate in the number of active editors might be an excellent
indication of a communities health. If the group is stable, but new editors
quickly disappear that is a strong indication that the group is nt very open
to newbies.
That is just a short list Erik suggested valuable metrics.
It would be nice of every community for its homepage could choose from a
list of these metrics, instead of just the article count.