[Foundation-l] It's not article count, it's editors

Erik Zachte erikzachte at infodisiac.com
Wed Sep 23 06:04:21 UTC 2009

Gregory Maxwell:

> The reason "how we have not reached large parts of the world yet" is

> because access to Wikipedia is significantly influenced by things

> outside of Wikimedia's control and scope.

> I think a reasonable argument can be made that Wikimedia's actions

> could not produce a statistically significant improvement in the

> penetration vs population metric; simply because the causative factors

> outside of our ability to influence are so large.

Here we totally disagree, and I hope and expect the outcomes of the strategy
process will prove you wrong over time.

I am not saying it is easy to reach out where we have not done so yet, but
we overcame more hurdles.

> but perhaps I did not state this bluntly enough:

You usually have no problems with being blunt (and obfuscating your posts
with rather pointless sarcasms) That was me being blunt BTW

> Failure to consider this leads to bizarre conclusions like "the lower

> birth rates in the developed world compared to the developing world

> decrease Wikimedia's success over time".

QED

> Surely someone must have a respectable count of internet users by

> language that we could use for comparison?

Thanks in advance for pointing me there.

> If we had a goal to double the number of articles in some reasonable

> period of time we could do it. If we had a goal to double the

> penetration, ... well, unless the WMF changes its mission nothing it

> could do would get us there.

Please check mission statement

Erik Zachte