[Foundation-l] It's not article count, it's editors

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 11:43:04 UTC 2009

Hoi,
When you look at the statistics for Volapuk, it is clear that having a large
number of articles makes a difference. In the same way you can have perfect
written articles that comply with everything that is considered standard
practice on the en.wp but when it is not what people want to read, it will
not make any difference.

The numbers as provided tell a part of the story and I know that Erik is the
first to acknowledge this. His statistics provide a lot of insight on what
is important. But at the same time his alternate proposal acknowledges that
we do not know what works. I find it funny because in my perspective we can
know what will work because we can know what articles are looked for in a
particular language and are not found. With such numbers we can challenge
people to write articles and measure their success. This is a target driven
approach and the target is eye balls. With more traffic to our smallest
projects we have more people that are challenged to help us with more
content, we have more people that may help with improving our localisation.
We stand a better chance to increase the number that Erik is fond of; the
number of contributors.

We can even ask the companies who exploit search engines what people in
particular  countries are interested in. Really, if our objective is to grow
our other projects there are many approaches and what we need to find out is
what mix works best.
Thanks.
     GerardM