[Foundation-l] advisory board composition

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Mon Sep 21 21:27:43 UTC 2009

phoebe ayers wrote:
> Dear Foundation-istas,
>
> It looks like sometime this summer the composition of the Advisory
> Board changed, with several of the original members becoming former
> members:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Advisory_Board&diff=39660&oldid=39327
>
> I don't remember an announcement about this. Did I miss it? Is this an
> annual sort of advisory board restructuring, or something else? Was it
> discussed somewhere? It's helpful to know who the advisory board
> members are, and I didn't think they had any specific 'terms of
> office' -- do they?

Actually, the resolution creating the advisory board (back in 2006) had
them being appointed for one year.
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Advisory_board
By the time we reviewed the situation, the initial term of service had
long passed. In the meantime, a few more members had been added, and we
recently invited many of the original advisory board to renew their
membership, so that's what the change reflects. It's possible that we
didn't get a public announcement out; our first priority was contacting
the advisory board individually, and we also still have some points to
wrap up at the board level as we try to establish a better overall
procedure for appointing them and making use of their advice. I do know
that Bridgespan has been interviewing a number of the advisory board as
an important part of the strategic planning process.

--Michael Snow