[Foundation-l] Announcement: Jennifer Riggs leaves Wikimedia

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 06:32:46 UTC 2009

Hi Steve,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 2:19 AM, stevertigo <stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind that the "Wiki" way of doing things was never about
> putting responsibility on just one or few shoulders.

That's a good point.

> I simply mean
> that if it's a matter of brainstorming, organizing, qualitative
> prioritizing, and executing ideas, the disembodied gentry of the
> Wikimedia community are always at your disposal.

We could all use more qualitative prioritizing --
 -What of our many activities are best furthering our [capital] Goals?
 -Which of our side projects could really help our core 'project' work?
 -What are the major needs shared by all parts of the community?
 -What communities never learn how to contribute in the first place?
 -- of these, which ones should we welcome first into the fold?

I would personally love to see the subjective priority lists (say, a
top-20 list) of What to Fix and what to do next, from many different
Projects, WikiProjects, dev clusters and other community groups.
Maybe we'll get to that in the Strategy Project -- but many people
find that too abstract to contribute to at the moment.

> It also occurs to me that it may also be quite relevant for others to
> know exactly what Jennifer thought about her job.  She's no doubt
> intimately acquainted with each of her planned and proposed tasks,

I don't know if she's reading this list, but you can discuss with her
more directly.  Expressing personal interest is often a good way to
learn what others think.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Jennifer_Riggs
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Jennifer_Riggs

SJ