[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Italia being sued

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 17:59:56 UTC 2009

Frieda writes:

> As far as I remember we asked WMF help just once, few months ago.
> There were nothing in the news at that moment.

I'm sorry the original request didn't get through to me, for whatever
reason. (I suspect a spam filter blocked the earlier message because it
contained two long URLs.) I first heard about it when you reposted it on a
mailing list, and I responded immediately to that message when saw it.

> The doc is already in your mailbox. CouLd you please assure me that
> you received it? thanks.

Yes, I've received it.  Unfortunately, the text isn't scannable by OCR -- if
some enterprising Italian Wikimedia feels like retyping the document into a
text format, I'd be personally grateful.  In the meantime, I'll do what I
can with the scan you sent me.

> And.. Why didn't you ask for it in our private discussion rather than
> using foundation-l?

Well, I generally respond to public mailing lists with public responses,
and, as you will recall, I was responding to other public queries about this
case on this and other public forums.

In general, there's nothing particularly private about legal process, and it
generally serves transparency and knowledge sharing to publicize whatever we
can. This is already a public matter, and there's general interest in our
larger community about the details.  I generally share what I can, within
the bounds of legal privilege.

--Mike