[Foundation-l] Expert board members - a suggestion

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:43:52 UTC 2009

Hoi,
Your argument about the "mistakes made today" is so wrong. If we want to
move forward in a positive way, we have to particularly acknowledge what
does go well. That motivates people. The incessant carping about the past
does not help at all. Insisting on acknowledgement of mistakes only serves
in offending and alienating people. Calling something a mistake is
problematic in the first place.

There are people who want the WMF to build huge reserves and there are
people who consider that the operations of the WMF are woefully underfunded.
There are people who want more funding for other languages and there are
people who consider that it is sufficient to develop for English. <grin>
that still allows me to pitch for for instance subtitling so that the
English Wikipedia can use video that was recorded in oher languages </grin>

However you slice it, the least that you can say is that the WMF is putting
in a best effort. This does not mean that you are always happy with their
choices and it does not mean that you have to be happy withthe results of
all the choices . In the end you do not have to be happy because it is
always robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Thanks,
      GerardM