[Foundation-l] The $1.7 million question

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 02:47:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Gregory Kohs <thekohser at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Let me recommend something.  Pay Anthony Dipierro the sum of $5,500, give
>> him server access, give him eight weeks, and if he doesn't produce a full
>> history dump of the English Wikipedia, then perhaps his penance could be a
>> one-year ban from Wikimedia mailing lists?
>

> That's a bit presumptuous of you, Greg.

I don't know the background of this, so I don't understand why this
would be presumptuous of Greg.

The key question is whether the full history dump was ever considered
to be a project that needs WMF funding to be allocated, as opposed to
letting it be solved by the normal open source model.

Lots of people complain about the full history dump, but what
importance has the WMF put on it, comparatively to other needs?  How
are these WMF software projects managed?  Does Brion report yearly on
key infrastructure and software dev objectives each year?

While Gregs recommendation to have WMF grant to develop certain
functionality, I would prefer that WMF offers bounties.

I've just noticed that bounties are mentioned on this strategy proposal.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/strategy/wiki/Proposal:Track_bugs_in_other_projects_impeding_our_progress

--
John Vandenberg