[Foundation-l] Moderation needed?

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 00:56:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Gregory Kohs <thekohser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently, a participant on this list said, "I could really care less about
> what Sue has to say about the budget".

I do not care about the budget. I didn't read the budget, don't know
anything about it, and am not interested to learn more about it.It
isn't a subject that I find any particular interest in. I see no
problem with my honesty about this point.

> Didn't we have some sort of moderation plan, to give time-outs to people
> when they step over a line into hostile, disparaging commentary that adds no
> value to the Wikimedia Foundation mailing list?  Sue Gardner deserves more
> respect than that.

My email was intended to address what I considered to be a false and
inflammatory comment made previously by another participant, and I
believe my response  added value to the list as a whole. Furthermore,
far from being hostile and disparaging, I thought it to be uplifting
for people who try to carry on civil conversations on this list
despite the persistent presence of trolls and other negative people.
The tolerance with which certain trollish posters are tolerated by the
productive majority here is quite inspiring to me, although even with
all this inspiration I am not always to deal with these negative
elements with as much patience myself. I don't feel that this is a
personality flaw on my part.

If I have violated the rules or norms of this forum, I will be happy
to suffer moderation as penance.

--Andrew Whitworth