[Foundation-l] Expert board members - a suggestion

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Sep 15 21:09:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I can gather: Total
> > spending was
> > $1.7 million less than budgeted.  Tech spending was $1.7 million
> > less than
> > budgeted.  And $1.7 million was sitting in the bank accounts at the
> > end of
> > the fiscal year.
>
> We did not spend on hardware, because, well, I explained already in
> some other email.
> We did not reallocate the money to hire lots of developers because we
> didn't know how the hardware spending will look like.

And that has proven to be a huge misjudgment.

> I'll fix the dumps for minimum wage plus daycare for my two kids.
>
> ;-) Are you for these conditions for other projects too?

For tech projects that I find interesting, and can do from home, sure.
 Daycare alone is $80/day, though.

> I don't know about that.  It's a pretty cool problem, it's just a
> > difficult
> > one to solve.  Or maybe it's a cool problem because it's difficult
> > to solve.
>
> I find it very boring problem myself. Probably thats because I'm
> spoiled by really cool problems at work, or maybe somewhat cooler
> problems at Wikimedia ;-)

Could be.  But then, I'm probably interested in different types of problems
than you.  And I'm not sure you've considered this problem in the same way
that I have (I'd like to modify the compressed files "in place", though that
short description doesn't really capture the solution).