[Foundation-l] Creative Commons publishes report on defining "Non-commercial", Is Wikpedia non commercial?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Sep 15 19:14:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:47 PM, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com <
jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Basically I am worred about these student versions of windows
> "infecting" open source projects with illegal contributions.

Nikola Smolenski answered that: "Whatever licenses they are violating, we
are not a party to these licenses and we are not violating them."

I'm not sure about other jurisdictions, but that's my understanding of the
law in the US.  If those students are illegally using Windows, that's their
problem, and only their problem.  Their violation doesn't "infect" the open
source projects they contribute to simply because they are using Windows
illegally.

I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.  But it seems pretty
straightforward.