[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Italia being sued

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 17:51:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Sage Ross <ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Italian Wikimedians are reporting that Wikimedia Italia (the Italian
> local chapter) and former chapter president (and former Wikimedia
> board member) Frieda Brioschi are being sued for an outrageous sum
> over alleged defamation in a (now-deleted) biography on Italian
> Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gianfranco/Wikimedia_Italia_sued_for_20,000,000_%E2%82%AC
>
> -Sage

Interesting. Although the Italian media also reported that I (and
Jimbo and various others) was being sued for 50 million euros, and I
haven't seen that lawsuit yet.

If the edits in question were made during a time when Frieda was on
the Board of the Wikimedia Foundation (and even if not), I wonder if
the WMF will contribute to her legal expenses. And if the case moves
forward, I would very much hope that Wikimedia Italia makes an
announcement on how to contribute to its legal defense fund (assuming
it does not declare bankruptcy/dissolve based on liability alone).

Nathan