[Foundation-l] Creative Commons publishes report on defining "Non-commercial"

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Tue Sep 15 16:04:06 UTC 2009

2009/9/15 Mike Linksvayer <ml at creativecommons.org>:

> It's not that bad. What you see is a scale where 1=noncommercial and
> 100=commercial, and creators rated the case you mention 59.2 on that
> scale, users 71.7 -- so creators see that case as less commercial than
> users, which is ideal if fewer disputes are a good outcome (and as far
> as I know there aren't many).

You are entirely correct, and I seem to have thoroughly misread that section!

> Of course one of the ways disputes are avoided is that users just
> avoid NC licensed content, as Wikimedia projects do. Kudos.

Yeah. Not the most desired outcome for the creator, though.

One of the benefits of CC is to encourage worry-free distribution by
helping creators be entirely up-front about what they're happy to have
happen with their material, but this sort of ambiguity seems to bring
us full circle.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk