[Foundation-l] Creative Commons publishes report on defining "Non-commercial"

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 15 10:03:22 UTC 2009

This brings up my favorite subject:
Is working on Free software or Wikipedia defined as Commercial non profit work?

It is my opinion that we should be careful of people who are using
restricted software
for contributions because it might be in violation of some licenses.

commercial business activities, nonprofit business activities, or
revenue-generating business activities, that is what free software,
and wikipedia is, in my opinion.

please comment, I am not a lawyer and would like your opinion.

Sources:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937676

The "non-commercial use" text is based on the Microsoft Software
License Terms for Office Home and Student 2007 products.

In the Microsoft Software License Terms, the "non-commercial use" text
identifies the use of the product. You may install one licensed copy
of the software on three devices in your household. The software is
not licensed for any commercial business activities, nonprofit
business activities, or revenue-generating business activities.

http://www.cmu.edu/computing/software/license-office/licenses/msca.html
Restrictions: Use for academic, non-commercial purposes only

http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx#EEB
PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE LIMITATION.
Unless otherwise specified, the Services are for your personal and
non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit,
display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works
from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or
services obtained from the Services.

And here :