[Foundation-l] Expert board members - a suggestion

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 07:48:07 UTC 2009

Hello,

> Given the fact that no candidate for the board seems to have
> campaigned prominently for this issue in this year's elec-
> tion and it does not even seem to have been mentioned in the
> two before, I do not see why the board should have decided
> otherwise.

You poor souls, always willing to see just black.
Board has raised the topic of dumps multiple times, and I personally
as a board member, not as a volunteer, discussed this issue with
people responsible in the staff, still, I see "promoting dumps
technology" as somewhat way too low level for board candidacy platform.

Anyway, back then it didn't need board member campaigning - whole
board knew it is important task, it needed executive level decision,
that we need someone dedicated to this task, and once such discussion
was made, dumps started rolling. I don't remember anyone in the board
who wouldn't treat this as a priority issue.
There wasn't anyone in tech team who wouldn't think it is an important
issue. There wasn't anyone in organization who'd think it wasn't an
important issue. And yes, it was matter of overall priorities
execution, which got resolved somehow, right?

Thomas wrote:
> The tech team prioritised other things over the dumps, had
> the community had the final say they may have done otherwise

Or not done anything \o/

You seem to fail to understand, that for years tech team was also a
volunteer body - though of course, eventually more and more people got
on the paycheck.
Well, even after getting the paycheck, extreme-skill people are
motivated way more when they believe in what they are doing, and just
having the "community have a final say" won't help with it.
Frankly, the major input about the dumps that the tech team got from
the community was "you suck where are our dumps" kind of input - with
lots of whining and no rationalization :-) Well, thats the impression
probably caused by few people on few people :)

Cheers,
Domas

P.S. And community doesn't want direct technology expertise at the
board level anyway, mwaha ;-)