[Foundation-l] Expert board members - a suggestion

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Mon Sep 14 21:19:36 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." is a good principle for maintaining
> the status quo, it isn't a good principle if you want progress. The
> job isn't done yet, so progress would be good. If you want progress
> you have to be willing to implement enhancements as well as fixes. One
> of the main fundamental problems I have found with the WMF is with
> regards to prioritising. Often the WMF doesn't prioritise the same
> things as the community seems to want. The dumps that Anthony
> mentioned is a good example of that - a significant number of
> community members complained about the dumps not working for years
> before much progress was made and they still aren't completely
> working. The tech team prioritised other things over the dumps, had
> the community had the final say they may have done otherwise (or they
> may not, no detailed discussion of the options ever took place in
> public so it is difficult to know what conclusion would have been
> reached).

Given the fact that no candidate for the board seems to have
campaigned prominently for this issue in this year's elec-
tion and it does not even seem to have been mentioned in the
two before, I do not see why the board should have decided
otherwise.

  As the re-prioritization seems to have primarily been
triggered by River's rant to this very list, do you find his
behaviour or the subsequent board decision disrepectful of
the community?

Tim