[Foundation-l] Report to the Board of Trustees June 2009-

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Sat Sep 12 17:20:02 UTC 2009

2009/9/12 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:

> While I don't doubt that the
> Portuguese Wikimedians are acting in good faith, trust requires two
> things - good faith and competence. They are almost certainly not
> competent since they haven't had an opportunity to develop that
> competence yet, so they should not be trusted to be making the right
> decisions.

I'm a bit worried about this sort of approach. Taken to extremes, we
wouldn't let the local chapter organise itself at all, because clearly
none of them would know how to do it until after they've had
experience running it, etc etc etc.

People will make bad decisions, estimates, projections, guesses,
conclusions sometimes; it happens. We spot them the second time
around, once we've realised they're wrong, fix them, and move on.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk