[Foundation-l] Moderate this list

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 11 20:33:19 UTC 2009

On 9/11/09 12:45 PM, Pavlo Shevelo wrote:
>> Isn't temporarily blocking such a user a way to calm him/her down? I
> Yes it might be the way, but far not universal way.
> And it should be the last (ultimate) in moderator toolkit, far not the
> first to be used.

The fundamental mechanism of moderation isn't to restrict posters from
speaking, but to give them a chance to reconsider the tone of their
message between hitting "send" and the time the post goes out to
everyone, possibly aided by getting direct feedback from the moderator
about the tone.

Goodness knows I *wish* plenty of my posts had been moderated, after the
fact!

-- brion