[Foundation-l] Moderate this list

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 11:14:25 UTC 2009

I think we're talking about two groups of people and thinking here:
1) a group of people who have the principle "be bold" in their coat of arms
and love to say anything that comes to mind, no matter whether that might be
rude or not.
2) the people who see discussion more as a social process which is helped by
involving more people.

At an IRL meeting, one of these two groups sets the atmosphere. Either the
bold group can discuss loudly and the "social" people feel not at home and
they leave. Either the social people are nice and are disturbed by the rude
behaviour of the bold people, and tell them to be nice or shut up.

I tend to prefer the second group, since I sincerely believe that it is
important and even crucial to allow people to discuss, and allow many people
to discuss.

By telling that people who don't like the shouting even though they have a
delete button, by saying that people should just grow a thick skin, you
clearly say that you belong to the first group, and you are not interested
enough in their opinion to change your behaviour, even though you don't even
have a clou how big that group is and who's in it. I would even go as far as
to say I find that quite asocial and rude, and strikes me in the same way as
when I go to a cafe, people spit on me and shout at me, and if I complain
about that, I'm just told that I should go home and not bother, because that
is just the way they behave in that cafe...

Lodewijk