[Foundation-l] Do we have a complete set of WMF projects?

oscar oscar at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 9 15:24:26 UTC 2009

On 9/9/09, Michael Peel <email at mikepeel.net> wrote:

> On 2 Sep 2009, at 12:35, David Goodman wrote:
>
>> There is sufficient missing material in  every Wikipedia, sufficient
>> lack of coverage of areas outside the primary language zone and in
>> earlier periods, sufficient unsourced material; sufficient need for
>> updating  articles, sufficient potentially free media to add,
>> sufficient needed imagery to get;  that we have more than enough work
>> for all the volunteers we are likely to get.
>
> I apologise for taking this slightly out of context, but it touches
> upon something I've been wondering about recently, which is: do we
> have a complete set of WMF projects?

great topic :-D

in my personal vision, it is rather obvious we should consider the
work of the wmf as "perpetually unfinished" just as wikipedia or any
of its other projects: an ongoing process, never ever {{done}}
completely.

to just do a little brainstorm, let me share some ideas as well:
* a compendium to wikipedia, collecting each and every complete older
encyclopedia (which is no longer copyrighted), thus also giving a peek
into the history of knowledge and of encyclopedias (does this really
belong in wikisource? maybe)
* a wikimusic including a musical dictionary, where one can e.g. look
up themes and melodies, find sheet music and recordings, searching by
notes etc
* i also thought of wikimaps, somebody mentioned this already, imnsho
including "all  maps" in detailed resolutions also historical maps,
thus also giving a peek into the history of geography and of
cartography as well as leaving room for original creations under a
free license (new maps)

just my 2 cts ;-)

all the best,
oscar