[Foundation-l] Use of moderation

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 07:56:55 UTC 2009

2009/9/9 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org>wrote:

>> I think we should stop using this outdated technology altogether and
>> instead switch to a web-based forum, where comments can be
>> postmoderated (i.e. removed after posting), and unproductive threads
>> can be moved or locked.

> I only find that acceptable if a web-based forum can be found which allows
> me to email myself every post/reply.  Citizendium switched to a web-based
> forum and I absolutely hated it.  I have all my mailing lists accessible in
> one location.  I am not interested in logging in to multiple websites.
> I'm sure a web-based forum can be made to handle this request.  But I
> haven't seen one that does it yet, only ones that do it partially and
> half-assedly.

wine-users - http://forum.winehq.org/

It started as a mailing list, then the forum was set up with a two-way
gateway. The forum is where most of the posters actually post from,
but so far it works ... surprisingly well!

Presumably we could ask Codeweavers for technical pointers. Mostly
it's little details, e.g. spam control.

The main thing Wine found is that the forum promptly had 10x the traffic!

The point is: it has been done and can be done. And that way, those of
us (e.g. me) who hate forums and don't want yet another web page to go
to can have it all happen in in our email.

So I heartily suggest we go to a forum with a fidelitous email gateway.

> Alternatively, put David Gerard in charge of foundation-l, or someone else
> who isn't going to complain that the list is a cesspool but not be willing
> to dictate to us what to do about it.  Basically, you've got two choices.
> The second is to get off the pot.

No and hell no ;-p

- d.