[Foundation-l] Use of moderation

Sue Gardner susanpgardner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 02:49:45 UTC 2009

Sorry for top-posting, Brian. (I'm walking home, am on my Blackberry.)

I don't feel super-comfortable posting on behalf of the staff, but I think it's fair to say that some of the staff are a little afraid to engage on foundation-l --- it can be intimidating, especially for new people. I think the staff feels both an obligation and a desire to engage with community members, but some tend to do it in forums that feel safer and more supportive (which might be on internal-l, in structured or semi-structured IRC conversations, etc.). I think that's not necessarily ideal, but it's very human and understandable.

I don't think the answer to the problem is to focus on reducing the level of negativity -- I think that's backwards-looking and hard to do helpfully. But I think that if we aim to be generous and kind with each other, when that is appropriate, that could/would create a virtuous cycle of its own :-)