[Foundation-l] Proposal: Commons Force

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Sep 8 05:45:10 UTC 2009

Bod Notbod wrote:

> I'd like to see an option given to Flickr users to check "license for
> use on Wikipedia" which would be an easy way for people to

The problem with that kind of simplified explanation of what
CC-BY-SA means is that content that is "licensed for use on
Wikipedia" will be rejected from Wikipedia.  Only content that is
"licensed for use anywhere by anybody" will be accepted.  That
difference is the hardest one to explain, and can't really be
simplified away.  You would only get unhappy users who thought
they licensed it for use on Wikipedia but not for other purposes.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)