[Foundation-l] Proposal: Commons Force

wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 19:57:15 UTC 2009

Geoffrey Plourde wrote:
> I agree, vigilantism is not necessary and counter productive. The
> Commons Force proposal represents a clear and present danger, both
> for whoever hosts it and participates in it. It is not for a third
> party to intervene in a contract between two people and only two
> people. If the Commons Force restricted itself to documenting
> potential copyvios and reporting them to the copyright owners, I
> could see some merit to the proposal. Otherwise it will do more harm
> than good.

Exactly, report potential violations both ARR works miss licensed as CC,
and CC works that are sans the license to the copyright owners and let
them decide what to do. Personally if a small non-profit reuses one of
my images and does attribute or supply the license I'm unlikely to get
in a tizz about it. Nor would I want some one, no matter how well
meaning, giving them grief over it.