[Foundation-l] Proposal: Commons Force

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 13:46:06 UTC 2009

On the subject of Flickr, I have a proposal.

I'd like to see an option given to Flickr users to check "license for
use on Wikipedia" which would be an easy way for people to

a) make their pictures available to us and

b) easier to find by Wikipedians.

It could be argued that it should say "license for use on Wikimedia
Commons" but I don't think that would have the recognition factor that
Wikipedia has.

Either way, Flickr could provide a "what's this?" link which would
take the Flickr user to a page with the relevant license details and
spell out what choosing the license means."

I considered posting something like this on "Wikimedia Strategy" but
it really isn't a strategy. It's not a "five year plan" type of thing,
not least because it's something that Flickr would be doing rather
than the WMF.

What do people think of this idea? Are there any problems with it? If
this gets general support I would be happy to approach Flickr myself
although I am a mere jobbing Wikipedian, so I have no reason to
believe that Flickr would take me very seriously. It would preferably
be taken up by someone with a higher profile.