[Foundation-l] Proposal: Commons Force

wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 6 21:26:17 UTC 2009

Jovan Cormac wrote:
> Michael, I'm afraid you didn't understand the proposal.
>
> The proposal has nothing to do whatsoever with people contributing to
> Commons not being educated about licenses. It's about contacting to
> people *outside* of Commons, people who may not be involved in any
> Wikimedia project, and tell them about PD or CC media wrongly tagged
> with copyright notices *on their own websites* or their accounts on
> media archives like Flickr.
>
> Please read again if in doubt.

Firstly, people are NOT meant to be uploading content to flickr that
they did not take themselves. If someone blogs the photo from flickr
then the flickr system will tag it as the work of the account that IOW
it will be falsely attributed, and the downstream user will be in
violation of the CC license.

Secondly, just because YOU think something is PD or licensed under
Creative Commons does not mean that it is in reality so. For example
many images on flickr have been lifted from the web and the account
uploading them falsely applies a CC license to everything uploaded.

Leave well alone.