[Foundation-l] WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Sep 6 00:14:36 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/9/6 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> > On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> A plan to move isn't worthy of a press release -
> >> it would only cover a single sentence ("The WMF has more staff than it
> >> has room for desks, so it is planning to move to new, larger
> >> offices.").
> >

> > Is that all they have, a plan?  They're offering to sublet their place
> based
> > on nothing but a plan?  They've only got a month to move out, and they
> > haven't even found the place they're moving into yet?
>
> Of course not. They have begun implementing that plan. At no point
> during that implementation until they actually move is there anything
> particularly newsworthy.

I'd consider their signing of a lease on a new place to be "newsworthy".  By
the time they actually move I'd consider the move to be "old news".  And if
they haven't yet signed a lease on a new place, I'd be quite surprised.  In
fact, I'm not even sure if they've started to "actually move" yet.

The completion of the move is what isn't worthy of a press release.

Personally I don't care whether the WMF tells us about its move or not.  But
waiting until after the move is completed to announce it is strange.