[Foundation-l] [ol-discuss] Universal Library

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 04:18:44 UTC 2009

Yann -

A nice draft.  you might want to add "collaborative, editable,
versioned, multilingual, annotated" database of all published "works"
(you may want more than just books).

To Lars and DGG: OL is doing just fine for some definitions of the
terms involved.  But it needs ways for crowds to help, and larger
crowds helping.  Short pithy statements about 'a universal library'
and how this will help research, education, and other projects will
help.

To general skepticism that Wikimedia should consider trying to
collaborate with or help other projects that are doing 'just fine on
their own' : helping others learn what we have learned is a good way
to improve the world of free knowledge.  Most projects struggle with
some of the elements of public collaboration that have come switfly to
Wikipedia.  [and vice versa: there are many things our projects can
learn from others, if we develop better relationships of sharing ideas
and expertise without sticking on points where we disagree]

SJ