[Foundation-l] Universal Library

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 19:19:06 UTC 2009

I have been re-reading their documentation, and they have it well in
hand.  We would do very well to confine ourselves to matching up the
entries in the WMF projects alone. Some of the data in WMF is more
accurate than some of the OL data, but I would not  say this to be a
general rule. Far from it: the proportion of incomplete or inaccurate
entires in enWP is probably well over 50% for books. (for journal
articles it is better, because of a project to link to the pubmed
information)  The accuracy  & adequacy -- let alone completeness-- of
the bibliographic information in WS is close to zero, except where
there is a IA scan of the cover and title page, from which full
bibliographic information might be derived, but cannot necessarily be
taken at face value.

The unification of editions is non-trivial, as using the algorithm you
suggest, you will also have all works related to Verne, and
additionally a combination of general and partial translations,
children's books, comic adaptation, and whatever.
Modern library metadata provides for this to a certain limited
extent--unfortunately most of the entries in current online catalogs
do not show full modern data--many catalogs never had more than
minimal records;  Dublin core is probably not generally considered to
be fully up to the problem either, at least in any current
implementation.

Those working on the OL side are fully aware of this. They have made
the decision to work towards inclusion of all usable & obtainable data
sets, rather than only the ones that can be immediately fully
harmonized. This was very wise decision, as the way in which the
information is to be combined & related is not fully developed, and ,
if they were to wait for that, nothing would be entered. There will
therefore be the problem of upgrading the records and the record
structure in place--a problem that no large bibliographic system has
ever fully handled properly--not that this incarnation of OL is likely
to either. Bibliographers work for their time, not for all time to
come.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.