[Foundation-l] Universal Library

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 23:51:09 UTC 2009

I have read your proposal. I continue to be of the opinion that we are
not competent to do this. Since the proposal  says, that "this project
requires as much database management knowledge as librarian
knowledge," it confirms my opinion. You will never merge the data
properly if you do not understand it.

You suggest 3 practical steps
1. an extension for finding a book in OL is certainly doable--and it
has been done, see
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Book_sources].
2. an OL  field,  link to WP -- as you say, this is already present.
3. An OL field, link to Wikisource.A very good project. It will be
they who need to do it.

Agreed we need translation information--I think this is a very
important priority.   It's not that hard to do a list or to add links
that will be helpful, though not  exact enough to be relied on in
further work.  That's probably a reasonable project, but it is very
far from "a database of all books ever published"

But some of this is being done--see the frWP page for Moby Dick:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Dick
(though it omits a number of the translations listed in the French Union
Catalog, http://corail.sudoc.abes.fr/xslt/DB=2.1/CMD?ACT=SRCHA&IKT=8063&SRT=RLV&TRM=Moby+Dick]
I would however not warrant without seeing the items in hand, or
reading an authoritative review, that they are all complete
translations.
The English page on the novel lists no translations;  perhaps we could
in practice assume that the interwiki links are sufficient. Perhaps
that could be assumed in Wiksource also?

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.