[Foundation-l] Universal Library

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 11:35:25 UTC 2009

Not only can the OpenLibrary do it perfect well without us.
considering our rather inconsistent standards, they can probably do it
better without us.  We will just get in the way.

There is sufficient missing material in  every Wikipedia, sufficient
lack of coverage of areas outside the primary language zone and in
earlier periods, sufficient unsourced material; sufficient need for
updating  articles, sufficient potentially free media to add,
sufficient needed imagery to get;  that we have more than enough work
for all the volunteers we are likely to get.

To duplicate an existing project is particularly unproductive when the
other project is doing it better than we are ever going to be able to.
Yes, there are people here who could  do it or learn to do it--but I
think everyone here with that  degree of bibliographic knowledge would
be much better occupied in sourcing articles.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.