[Foundation-l] 31 august, 20 years of our national holiday "Our romanian language" in Moldova, mo.wikipedia still in cyrillic !

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 11:07:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Andrew
Turvey<andrewrturvey at googlemail.com> wrote:

> - The iso code for Romanian/Moldavian is ro. "mo", which was the ISO code for Moldavian in the Cyrillic script is now deprecated. There is no ISO code for Cyrillic script Moldavian.

ISO 639 codes are about languages, not scripts. The code "ro" would
apply to both scripts.

> - Where ISO 639-1 codes exist we use them to name the Wikipedia. However, we do have other encyclopedias for languages which don't have ISO codes. Examples are http://ang.wikipedia.org - the Anglo Saxon encyclopedia which uses some non-latin characters (e.g. Ƿ for "th")

In those cases, when available, we use an ISO 639-3 code. All our
3-letter language names are ISO 639-3 codes with the exception of
als:, which should probably be moved to gsw:. If there is also no ISO
639-3 code, a code is used of the form xxx-yyy, where xxx is the code
for the language, or if no clear language applies, the language group
to which the 'language' belongs, and yyy is some sort of denotation.
existing examples are be-x-old with a language, zh-minnan with a
metalanguage and roa-rup and fiu-vro with a language group.

> - mo.wp should be moved to something other than "mo" - perhaps mocy?

I don't know the rules for this, but I would expect it to be either
ro-cyr or ro-x-cyr

> - Finally, I don't see any reason why the community can't address with this issue by discussion and consensus. There's no need for the foundation to get involved, at least at this stage.

The foundation holds technical control over the wikipedia domains;
nothing can be done but by the foundation to for example rename a
wiki.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com