[Foundation-l] Font support for our domains

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 16:22:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 16:56, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> So you want to have a comparison.

No. I have offered experience.

> When you type in the Korean script,
[...]
> The vast majority of people do not know how to do this.

What does a korean end user do now, when s/he wants to see a webpage?
They cannot type any URL, right? I wonder.

> our wikis are super usable, when our usability is much improved.

I would guess, without any prior research, that people who cannot type
latin script (though how they type URLs then is a mistery to me) would
use search engines, and those doesn't really care about domain names.

> that in a UNESCO study they found that 100% of a group of testsubjects were
> not able to create a new article.

You mean no Korean citizen whatsoever was able to create a new article? Weird.

> The good news is, every thing will remain the same for the hu.wikipedia.org.

I work with domains for the last 10 or so years, so I guess I have
some limited insights with these matters, but thanks for the relieving
comment. :-)

> It does not need any change. Other languages like Russian, Chinese, Hindi
> have the potential to grow much bigger then they are today, they have a

You probably have missed my last sentence informing you about my
comment not being an opposition, so really you do not need to either
defend or debate the topic. But I'm really interested in current real
world usage of the internet there, how they type URLs, how they access
the pages without latin script, or are they even able to know what
these funny letters are what we use. I have no idea what kind of
education people have who have access to the net. And whether there
are large percentage of those with access not being able to type latin
script. (All of the asians I know have keyboard switching active and
they are fully able to use latin script for URLs. But that's a relaly
small sample.)

> I have presented you with the arguments why we should adopt full URL's in
> other scripts in addition to our current domains. I hope that you see my
> point but we can debate them anyway.

Since this requires close to zero work, no software or changes I do
not see what part of it could be debated. It have a registration cost,
the domains have to be set up and that's all. Probably if the
Foundation wouldn't be interested I would register them and create the
redirect (as I have done with the example I have mentioned earlier) if
I were asian, but since I am not I am a neutral party.It is even
possible that asian colleagues already created such redirects, who
knows?

Really no need to convince me, I'm for it.

--
 byte-byte,
    grin