[Foundation-l] RFC: A Wikipedia/etc.-like Web Directory (e.g: dmoz.org, the old dir.yahoo.com , etc)

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 05:36:34 UTC 2009

David, there are many projects covering some or all of those ideas. There's
Wikia for "hobbyist" and popular culture content, the many city wikis
(attempts at creating a central repository of civic wikis has thus far
failed), AboutUs for domain-centric content, and the list goes on and on. As
SJ pointed to, WikiIndex.org gives one an idea of just how much there is
already outside Wikimedia.

While I think we're on to something good, I also think that a crystal clear
scope is necessary for a project like this, whether it's part of Wikimedia
or not. Overlap with other projects isn't necessarily a barrier to success,
but it requires more clarity of vision than what I'm getting from the
discussion so far.

Just my two cents.

Steven Walling