[Foundation-l] RFC: A Wikipedia/etc.-like Web Directory (e.g: dmoz.org, the old dir.yahoo.com , etc)

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 20:03:04 UTC 2009

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:

>> This was motivated after I was referred to the "Wikipedia is not a web
>> directory" section of:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not

One workaround I've found is to add a "resources" section to the
/talk/ page and list sites there. I've been responsible for a few
rather long 'external links' sections and have been disappointed to
see them trimmed because I felt all of the links I provided were valid
(in that they provided substantial information not easily included in
the article [for example, on an article about an author including
links to articles written by them] or hosted images that we couldn't
use [particularly useful for modern artists]).

With the section on the talk page I added my recommendation that the
section should not be archived when the talk page grew large as I felt
the section would remain of value to editors and ought to remain
relatively prominent.

It's not an ideal solution because there's not much you can do with
the section other than edit/add to it. But I felt it was a good
compromise for those times when I was in disagreement with another
editor over the external links section.

I tend towards the "argh, no, not another project" view on things. I
think because, and perhaps this is unfair, I dislike that they may
drain talent and resources away from the encyclopedias.