[Foundation-l] Dumb survey about Commons

Guillaume Paumier gpaumier at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 26 13:53:33 UTC 2009

Hi,

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2009/10/26 Guillaume Paumier <gpaumier at wikimedia.org>:
>> One thing I realized, though, was that two questions had an ambiguous
>> wording: people wonder why they have to give reasons for not using
>> Commons, or not participating, despite the fact that they said they do.
>> These questions should read « what is the main reason that limits or
>> hinders your use/participation ». Unfortunately, we can't change the
>> survey once it is running.
>
> Did you not test the survey? That should have been caught by a fairly
> small test run (a few dozen people).

Yes, we tested the survey, but with a smaller number of people, because
of the time constraints (the multimedia usability project really started
only 2 weeks ago, and the fundraising campaign is going to be the major
focus of sitenotices from next week to January). And the problem didn't
appear during the tests.

That said, although it may confuse a few people who take the survey, I
don't expect this to have a huge impact on the results. People who don't
understand the intended meaning of the question just select "other", as
a quick check of the results so far confirms.

--
Guillaume Paumier
Product Manager, Multimedia Usability