[Foundation-l] Dumb survey about Commons

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 11:02:59 UTC 2009

When you make a dumb survey, answers will be dumb, as well as conclusions.

I am really frustrated with that survey... I wanted to help with my
Wikimedia Commons users and contributors which doesn't fit into the
survey.

So, let's start...

1. Yes, I am using Commons regularly.
2. There are many goals when I look for free media files on Commons
and I can't say which one is primary.
3. I am participating in Wikimedia Commons sometimes.
4.
* 100-1000 edits
* 100-1000 uploads (actually I don't have a clue how to find that fact
efficiently)
* I don't have a clue which percentage are my own works, let's say 10-50%
* And the winner: What is my reason to participate? And there is no
*my* reason, even Commons is the free content project? No reason to
answer.
* Then, no possibility to say that I am definitely not working on
"quality review, improvement & promotion of featured works"; just
"rarely"; as well as that I didn't upload any animation. BTW, all
types of my participation on Commons are rare.

And, instead of doing that in a couple of minutes, I've spent 30
minutes in writing this email.

I really don't know which answers such survey is able to give? How
many Commons participants have less than 100 edits? SQL queries may be
more helpful.

If it is for making some decisions, it is better not to use the
results because survey may give very wrong conclusions. If it is for
some student work, it may be better.

I don't want to say that it is possible to make a perfect survey.
However, this one has ~50% of not so bright questions and/or options.
Yes, there are options for "other" answers, but such answers will be
not so informative (cf. my second answer) or they would be narrative
and it won't be easy to categorize them. Those who don't want to
bother themselves with "other" option will give wrong answers.

Some brainstorming with other Wikimedians could help. It is better to
have relevant than fast answers and conclusions.