[Foundation-l] Wikipedia meets git

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 16 08:30:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Denny Vrandecic
<denny.vrandecic at kit.edu> wrote:
> That is pretty cool. But wouldn't it make more sense to have a more-
> fine grained blame, like the one in wikitrust, down to the character
> level?

I don't know all these wikitools, but if the feature is missing from
git, then it will benefit all projects using it.

My fascination with using a real distribute version control system is
that it provides the features that we are missing from the mediawiki.

We can use standard tools to do good things, and not have to reinvent
the world all the time.

We don't need to have a centralized repository and only one point of
view, using a real VCS means that we can multiple hosts, multiple
points of view and a failsafe system.

My next steps are to work on the reader tool in creating latex output
and espeak output of the  articles, I am adding in the unicode
character support right now. I would like to get that up to speed, to
use PDF / Audio rendering of the articles.

I will continue to just work with selected articles and improve the
import feature. It should be easy to have an import tool feed by an
rss feed for some articles that imports them on a regular basis.

Mike