[Foundation-l] Wikipedia meets git

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 15 20:38:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is cool that you get the complete history.
>
> But— it's a bit uncool that its about 14mbytes when the article is
> 100k; understandable given that the expanded uncompressed history is
> about 337mbytes...

I have the uncompressed history here at 550mb.
du -h history/
556M	history/

if I bzip this, it is
29M 2009-10-15 22:35 total.tar.bz

14 mb is still smaller, and the upload is faster!

> The number of revisions to a single article is a little bit outside of
> the normal usage of git. ;)

There are ways to optimize all of this. Most users will not want to
download the full history.

This is just one days of work using git, we will be able to optimize this all.

I will be able to find other example of large repositories..

http://laserjock.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/bzr-git-and-hg-performance-on-the-linux-tree/

mike