[Foundation-l] (no subject)

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 20:55:41 UTC 2009

> These people are not Wikipedia editors.  Is it appropriate and/or
> legal under the terms of the GFDL or the CC-by-SA for a
> freely-licensed work to be "claimed" with a preposition such as "by",
> which by any interpretation of the English language in this usage,
> would connote authorship?  Personally, I don't think it is appropriate
> (thus that nauseous feeling I mentioned earlier).  But, I'm not a
> highly-paid lawyer, so maybe I just don't know better.  I've been in
> situations before where I know I am ethically correct, but helpless in
> the light of the law.
>
> It strikes me that this is something that Creative Commons or other
> organizations with Godwin-like attorneys should be aggressively
> pursuing, but we didn't hear from any of them in the original thread,
> did we?  Mike, could you illuminate this conversation with your
> professional opinion?
>
> Greg

What can Creative Commons or Wikimedia do in these cases? They aren't
the rights holders, so even if they wanted to they couldn't sue. And
if they could sue, they couldn't afford it. Legal remedies are
available to the folks whose work is included, but I think generally
speaking they may not have much motivation or means. Wikipedia content
is reused all across the web and in print without the type of
attribution required by the GFDL - this is nothing new.

Nathan