[Foundation-l] Charity Navigator rates WMF

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 10 22:31:46 UTC 2009

Michael Peel wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2009, at 15:00, geni wrote:
>
>> The complexity is that in certain groups being anti-wikipedia is a
>> requirement for fitting in. A statement that you take knowledge
>> seriously.
>>
> I'm sorry; I can understand those sentences separately, but not when
> they are combined. Wikipedia is a way to take knowledge (and the
> spread of knowledge) seriously. That's why I'm here.
>
> I would hope that being anti-wikipedia (or anti-knowledge) is not a
> requirement for high-school teachers.

I think I understood him correctly. Since the second "sentence" isn't a
sentence at all, reading the full stop at the end of the first as a
colon makes it all clear.  The statement describes a regrettable, though
understandable, social dynamic.  That dynamic is on a par with those who
would not vote for Obama because his middle name is Hussein, or those
who would ostracize an individual for not being Christian enough. We can
question the intelligence of such people, but we cannot doubt their
existence.

Ec