[Foundation-l] Charity Navigator rates WMF

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Sat Oct 10 16:02:21 UTC 2009

On 10 Oct 2009, at 16:54, Marc Riddell wrote:

> on 10/10/09 11:32 AM, geni at geniice at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Depends on the school. By being anti-wikipedia you make a statement
>> that you insist on a certain quality in your sources. You could view
>> it as a form of snobbery "Wikipedia may seem okey to the peons but we
>> know better".
>>
> A goal of a good teacher is to introduce their students to
> scholarship. And
> a one-stop visit to Wikipedia does not accomplish that.

No, but it's an excellent place to stop on the way out to the wider
world, and check up on what can be found out easily. It's the low-
hanging fruit in the tree of knowledge.

Plus, writing and editing Wikipedia articles is an excellent way to
learn about how to do research and proof-reading.

(This is getting a little off-topic, though... My question about
surveys in my first email still stands.)

Mike