[Foundation-l] Charity Navigator rates WMF

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 9 20:22:52 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 10/9/09, Gregory Kohs <thekohser at gmail.com> wrote:

> You may not be aware of the stories behind the Deputy
> Sheriffs' Fraternal
> Organization or the Wishing Well Foundation, but I would be
> sick to my
> stomach if I found that I had donated money to such an
> organization, only to
> discover that they spend less than 20% of revenues on
> program services.
> With the Wikimedia Foundation having recently spent only
> 31.6% of revenues
> on program services, I dare to say they are closer, on a
> true percentage
> basis on the books, to organizations like the Deputy
> Sheriffs' Fraternal
> Organization or the Wishing Well Foundation than they are
> to ProCon.org and
> the Red Cross.

Does Charity Nagivator count the server, bandwidth, and tech salaries cost as "program" or "admin"  for WMF?

I remember in the past we found out it was standard to count these areas as "admin" in such evaluations even though such things are an integral part of the WMF program.  I don't think the past discussion was specifically about Charity Navigator.  So do we know how they are categorizing these areas?

Birgitte SB