[Foundation-l] Statistical research on Wikipedia (Godwin inspired)

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 01:56:21 UTC 2009

Mike Godwin says:

+++++++++

You should publish the results of your statistical research of
high-school-teacher attitudes toward Wikipedia.  It will be especially
useful if you have a large sample size and minimal selection bias.

+++++++++

Of course, I never said my anecdotal experience represented a statistically
sound research initiative.  However, sample sizes and selection bias are
actually a bit of my professional expertise.  I have already conducted two
quantitative studies of Wikipedia-related data -- one about 100 articles
about the U.S. senators, and another (not so rigorous) assessment of 10 new
articles selected with little to no bias whatsoever.  The WikiEN-l mailing
list moderators refuse to publish a short post informing the community about
that second study.  I'm not sure why not, as they refuse to say.  Great
"open" and "democratic" community you work for here, Mike.

Both of these previous assessments I conducted for free.  No more.  I would
actually enjoy (as I've e-mailed you privately) expanding the scope of my
latter study to include perhaps 200 new articles.  But, that work on my part
will cost the Foundation a $1,000 stipend.  That's a bargain for such a
study.  Or, you can try to find a volunteer who will do it for a barnstar,
but they might botch the sampling design.

If you prefer a statistically sound survey of 300 high school teachers
regarding opinions and usage of Wikipedia, that would be more expensive.  I
could still get the job done for a mere $4,000, though -- about one-quarter
the rate you'd pay with a full-service marketing research firm.  Or, again,
you could go the barnstar route with someone else.

Offers are on the table.  Your move.

Greg