[Foundation-l] Charity Navigator rates WMF

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:47:32 UTC 2009

2009/10/8 Gregory Kohs <thekohser at gmail.com>:
> Despite an overall three-star rating (out of four), WMF was only rated two
> stars for Organization Efficency.  This is described by Charity Navigator as
> "Meets or nearly meets industry standards but underperforms most charities
> in its Cause".  The Charity Navigator site further states:

The WMF is unique in being so massively volunteer driven. The WMF
exists to run the servers and handle the admin, almost everything else
is done by volunteers and doesn't appear on the income statement. It's
inevitable that the WMF will spend a lot of its money on admin. If you
include volunteer time on the income statement, even at a nominal rate
of $1/hr or something, then we would be spending almost all our
resources on programmes.